Thursday, May 28, 2009

How Sweet it is to be All Screened In...

Oh the country life is sweet. Some may not consider my home "country" but when you grow up in a large city in South Florida, in your typical subdivision, then our home is Country. I love the benefits of being far enough from the noise of the city but close enough it isn't a small journey to Wal-mart. Our home is on a 2.5 acre lot but behind us is nothing but farmland and woods. So when I am washing dishes and glancing out my back window I pretend all the land is ours.




Country living isn't always a joy we do have to share our space with mother nature. We have a gas tank that needs to be filled every so often. (To my Florida Friends I have taken a picture, many of you have probably never seen one of these.) This month we have had to fight the birds. They apparently love to build a nest inside the tank cover. We kept hearing all this noise and we lifted the lid and inside were 3 baby birds. I always imagined a baby bird being sweet and so adorable, it's quite the opposite they could appear in a horror film and get a scream! Their mouths are all you see and they never stop moving them. Needless to say I closed the lid and never dared to reopen to take a peek. Rob finally decided they were big enough to be on their own and kicked them out. Within days a new nest was built we have continued to remove this daily. Finally I gave up and kept the lid open, hoping that our birds will get the point that they are not welcome.


So since spring has come so have the nuisance of insects. They LOVE our home and we have decided a new tactic to keep them out. Screen, screen, screen. We had a large back porch that we decided to enclose and it has been wonderful. We also installed a screen door on the garage entrance which has helped in eliminating the flies, I haven't killed one in days. Praise the Lord, I am not into sharing my home with those terrible black flies.








Screening in our porch was a family event! Rob's parents and Grandmother, were absolutely wonderful to assist us in this endeavour. It turned from a weekend project into 3 week project. Rob is in his busiest season at work and the rain refused to stop so every day our porch waited for its completion. And this Memorial Day Rob placed the final piece of screen on and we had the family over to enjoy it. It was a wonderful day and we love that now we can enjoy our country living without sharing it all with the pesky bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment